Thursday, April 30, 2009

Take Your Daddy To School Day

"Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits,
The God of our salvation! Selah"
Psalm 68:19 (NKJV)



It wasn't a national event like "Take Your Son or Daughter To Work Day" was last week. "Take Your Daddy To School Day" was a personal family event we enjoyed a few weeks ago.


Joshua's teacher invited Jim to their class to share about Jim's recent trip to Israel. In addition, the economics teacher in our high school invited Jim to come in and speak about the Dow Jones Industrial Average and The Wall Street Journal to the economics classes. Jim humbly and enthusiastically accepted both of these invitations and combined his invitations into a one-day visit to school with our cherubs. It was a lot of fun for all of us. (It was a Monday, so I happened to be in our church working the day of his visit! I was able to clock out for a bit and visit Jim in the various classrooms of the school.)


Jim prepared for these school presentations as diligently and thoroughly as he does for his quarterly review meetings at work. Jim is a living testimony to our children (and everyone around him) of Colossians 3:23-34: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

Here is Jim speaking to the high school economics classes.



In the afternoon, he visited Joshua's class and showed them 160 slides from his trip to Israel. Jim did a great job connecting each picture with an event from the Bible with which the children are familiar. The children asked great questions!


We served snacks that were representative of foods indigenous to Israel, such as oranges, figs and bananas.



Jim also brought in some interesting items he brought back from his trip, such as the salt formation that Joshua is holding, which Jim picked up from the bottom of the Dead Sea. Did you know you can't sink in the Dead Sea? It is so rich in salt that you float!


Bringing Daddy to school was the best Show-N-Tell our cherubs could ever want! He is their hero. Mine, too. I just heart my little family!

Yesterday morning we read some verses from Psalm 16 for our devotion time with the children. The verses seem suitable for this post. Smiles.

"I said to the LORD, 'You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."

6 comments:

Mommahen said...

Isn't the gift of a hard working, believing father such a blessing? Whenever I think of my husband and his work Proverbs 22:29 comes to mind "Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men." My God knows him and sees his work, and I know He will reward him for it. Truly, we are blessed to be the wives of such God loving men. Your post served as a reminder of that. I pray God would continue to use your words to bless others.

Blessed Mom of 8 said...

Ok call me silly!

But I'm sitting here bawling.

I guess I know what days like this mean to a child.

That is just precious Sharon.

The children will never forget that and only God knows the little child or teenage one that will be touched forever by Jim's diligence and obedience to our God!

I love it!

Blessings to your precious family!

Love and hugs,
Jill

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Sharon! What a great opportunity for Jim! I know he touched the hearts of ALL the kids that he spoke to! And, those slides!! Wish I could have been there!! That was so cool! The scriputure is perfect!!

Have a great day, sweet friend!
Hugs,
Susan

Chatty Kelly said...

Woman, Thou art blessed!

So happy for your family.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I just popped in from another blog and I just love it here! What a precious family you have.

I also love your blog buttons on the sidebar. DId you do??

Beth

jim.sloan said...

Honey,

Thank you, this really touched my heart. It was a pleasure spending the day with the kids, and it's even more of a pleasure being your husband and their father. I love you all.

Jimmy